Friday, April 20, 2007

T.'s Knitting Philosophy

I love knitting...obviously. Who would have a blog about knitting if they didn't in some way enjoy it to the extent that they want other people to know all about it. Having said that, I don't stress about knitting. I don't fret about little mistakes or not following the pattern perfectly. I don't swatch (and yes I've paid for this...ask J. about her Christmas scarf I knit her -- all 8 feet and 10 pounds worth). I don't let a small thing like running out of yarn deter me...like my baby's most recent pair of socks.







Knitting to me is a way of making my hours of watching TV at night seem less useless. It's a way to unwind, shut off my mind and do something creative. If I started stressing about every little detail, I wouldn't have the same sense of peace when I knit. And that's my goal -- a peaceful mind. That doesn't mean I don't like to make beautiful, detailed pieces -- I do. I just do them in small "doses". This is why I need to have 5 things going on my needles. More difficult things like Embossed Leaves Socks from Interweave Knits (Winter 2005)...

Not too difficult, but requires some thought. I also am trying to come up with a pattern for a handtowel set for my mom for mother's day (still in the process of this). Also requires some thought.

But, at the end of the day, nothing can beat rows upon rows of stocking stitch...all those knits and purls make me endlessly happy....and peaceful.

1 comment:

J. said...

What a great philosophy!! I totally agree!! I think I'm a process knitter. I just love the knitting of it and learning new things.

Non-knitters wouldn't understand, right Al?