Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Pop Culture Lesson

This post has little knitting content....that's because I'm saving the good stuff for when some"THING" is done blocking. That's a little tease...


The mighty reality show "Dancing with the Stars" ended last night, with Kristi Yamaguchi as the victor.

I would guess that most of you wouldn't know this little fact....the Olympic Gold Medalist and dancer extraordinaire is a former University of Alberta student. Yes, it's true. Sometime in the early 90s Kristi could be seen on campus running to classes, just like the rest of us. She was training at the Royal Glenora club at the time, which is just across the river from campus.

My husband (who I didn't know at the time) and his friends had a game they called "The Hunt for Yama". They were constantly on the look out for Yama on campus. I think these boys all had a little crush on her, and were hoping she'd fall in love with one of them and whisk them away from the hood where they all grew up.

They did luck out one night at a local bar frequented by students because they served $0.80 draft. This is where the story gets a little fuzzy. Some people believe that my husband danced with Yama at this bar, but he denies it. Maybe we'll never know. It's part of his mystique...

So 2 degrees of separation between me and Kristi Yamaguchi. I think that almost makes me famous.

3 comments:

J. said...

Does this mean your husband can do the cha cha cha?

T. said...

Have you seen him dance? He's no Jason Taylor.

niaodian said...

lols