Monday, March 2, 2009

It Takes a Village

I hurt my back. By hurt, I mean that I did something that left me unable to stand or sit. I couldn't lie down. I could not pick up my baby or walk around with her. And believe me, I hurt.


Left in this rather inconvenient situation, I did what most people do; I rallied the troops. (My Mom's immediate response was that I had lost too much weight after P2 was born and therefore didn't have enough padding. Love you, Mom.) Princess 1 went off to the dayhome as she usually does on Fridays. At about 8 am, my amazing sister in law, LittleMissBossy, stopped by to work her physio magic. Poor LMB often gets called on when family members are down but I was so very grateful to see her in my immobile state. She poked and prodded, told me that my SI joint was jammed and taped me up. When she left I felt better. Not great but better. At 9:30, my Dad showed up to help with the heavy lifting by which I mean Princess 2. Babies can be unpredictable and P2 slept until almost noon.





She did get some quality time with her Dido (grandpa) after she woke up. Isn't it an amazing thing to see your parents interact with your children. There is just love and laughter. My parents don't have to worry about discipline or diet, behavior or consequences. They just get to play.



At 1pm, the Dude showed up and did baby duty for the rest of the day. I'm feeling a bit better today and I think by Monday, I'll be able to handle my troops alone.



I'm so glad my family lives close and are so willing to help out in an emergency.






Just don't tell them I hurt my back while sitting and knitting.

4 comments:

T. said...

The look on Miss P2's face in the first pic is priceless.
Hope you're better...

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better! Once you're healed we should plan an RK event.

Amanda said...

Ouch! I hope you are well on the road to recovery.

Metta said...

I really hope you are feeling better now. It is terrible when your back hurts. I am having problem with my left hip and I am in constant pain. Operated the right one 7 years ago, so maybe it is time for the left one now.

Thank you for the nice comment on my mittens. For the moment it seems it has become a passion. I usually combine different patterns and try to make my own designs. The mittens from Knitter´s Almanac is a good start. I am looking forward to see the first ones you make.