Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Expanding my Yarn Universe

Up until recently my knitting circle consisted of J. and me. That's it. It was good - we shared patterns, ideas, thoughts on different yarns, websites and the usual things you would discuss with a knitting circle. But the loop was pretty small. There is only so much the two of us know (I mean really brilliant and all, but we aren't all knowing).

Then J. came up with this idea to go to a Stitch and Bitch. She googled SnB and found one that met in a nice little coffeeshop not too far away. So we went.

Wow.

There are knitters out there as crazy as us. I know our husbands don't believe it, but it's true. There are people who know what we mean when we say yarn diet or Handmaiden or Knitty or Yarn Harlot. They know these words with no explanation. They understand the pain of waiting till next month to buy more yarn. They understand how frustrating a piece can be that you want to throw it away and never look at it again, but you keep at it.

We went again last night and got to see so many amazing projects. A shawl from Victorian Lace Today, a 'cursed' sweater from Knitscene, a scarf made with beautiful Noro. Someone brought a new book they'd just bought so we could all peruse it. Seriously, this group is good. They got their knit-on.


I'm still attempting to finish JW's Father's day socks. He is aware of their existence which means I can actually knit them in his presence. Also on the home stretch of Rusted Root - hopefully I'll reveal it soon.

Next on the list...figuring out what to do with this. It is by far my favorite yarn in my stash. J. picked it up for me when she went to Vancouver for her half-marathon. Does she know me well or what? This yarn (Koigu KPPPM) has all my favorite colors. I need to really do it justice - just not sure how....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? You two aren't all knowing? Now I just feel betrayed...

And thanks for the quick SnB recap. Oh, how I miss all the other knitting nerds. As soon as I find myself without an infant strapped to my chest for the entire evening, I will join you all again - Cross your fingers this happens soon as I'm sort of going out of my mind here.

T. said...

Hey - I can relate - knitting takes the edge off a lot. We definitely had a great time last night - that group makes me laugh!

Anonymous said...

I feel the exact same way, I always have so much fun, and try to go everytime. Turns out I only ever go to the ones at Ginos. I guess I just don't spend enough time there already!

J. said...

T., did you forget to mention how the SnBers were pressuring us to buy more yarn? Innocently mentioning yarn websites for us to check out and taunting us with new patterns? We should meet every week!