Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hockey Mom

I am trying to accept this as my lot in life. I am a hockey mom.

As such, I am required to know how every piece of equipment goes on. I need to know how to tie up Punky's skates really tight so that his ankles don't buckle. I need to be ok with the stinky nature of hockey dressing rooms (I have a weak stomach prone to nausea, triggered by rank smells, especially in the morning.....kind of like morning sickness without the pregnancy...yes, I'm weird). My boy is only 4, so this is going to be a long endeavour. And that's ok. We made this decision to register him in hockey and we'll see it through. Smelly rooms or otherwise.

There are some benefits.


Absolute cutest thing ever (at least to me). And a cute hockey dad too...

And the other up-side of hockey practice is knitting time. There's not much I can do while in the stands at practice, except watch Punky's amazing abilities (please note the scarcasm) and knit. The only problem is I didn't realize how freakin cold the stands would be (you'd think they would have had heaters). And I didn't make great needle choice (non-metal needles only while at the rink). So the cozy didn't progress too far.

But these little guys are coming along nicely...


.....hopefully they'll be done by next hockey practice so my tender tootsies stay warmer.

And Stinky, he's not yet old enough to join us at hockey practice. He's usually getting his beauty sleep then. As you can tell by this picture, that's definitely important to him.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you're already a hockey mama at such a young age. Half-way through the post, I thought, "Hey, that would be excellent knitting time!" but I didn't consider, as you mentioned, the chilly arena. Looks like I'll be steering Arlo towards the warmer, more knitting-friendly activities...

-andi

J. said...

You know, indoor soccor arenas are very warm....

Nice progress on the boys. Knitting, too.

catknip said...

Aaaawww! So cute!

I know about the hockey arenas. My advice is a long coat and Baileys.

Anonymous said...

If you can knit in fingerless mitts (I can't) it cold be good knitting time. J has a point, soccer arenas are warm...