Monday, May 14, 2007

Managing the Stash

I love buying yarn - yep, shocking for a knitter to say. The feel of new yarn, the thought of what it will be turned into - all very exciting to me. Even though I love buying yarn, I do not have a stash that is overwhelming. My stash primarily takes up about 3 large baskets in my coffee table. A lot of it is yarn left over from previous projects, some of it is sock yarn as socks are my go-to project, and some of it is planned for new projects. Typical I would think of many knitters. What I don't have a lot of is "yarn with no plan" (except the sock thing, but it'll be socks one day - just not sure for whom or what pattern).







For example, this (Knit Picks Cotlin in Coral)....








....is destined for this.

This (Lorna's Laces in Envy)...


...is destined for this (who loves Cookie A??).


And my newest addition (and my first ever Koigu)....


....I think will be a Chevron scarf.


Maybe if I had unlimited amounts of disposable cash (is any cash really "disposable"??) I would have a larger stash. But, then again maybe not. I think the main reason I don't have a large stash of unspoken-for yarn is that it would burn a hole in my knitting basket - I wouldn't be able to let it sit there without a purpose. I would hunt tirelessly for a pattern, a purpose to give this yarn. I wouldn't be able to work on my other projects until it was cast on. Once cast on I could finally rest knowing that it would be happy now that the yarn had a reason.

1 comment:

J. said...

I'm gonna be a Monkey, too. I think the Chevron Scarf is a good choice for the Koigu cause it's hand wash only and who wants socks you have to hand wash? Whatcha gonna mix with the Koigu for the scarf?