Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Changing Times


P1 started preschool today. She was a little anxious about the unknown, but once we drove up to the school she was great. She put away her sweater and bag. She found her cubby with her name tag. She took her teacher's hand and said goodbye.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about how much I've changed over the years. I've had the opportunity to see a number of people who knew me in my university years. We reminisced. We laughed. On the way home, I wondered how much they ever really knew me. That wasn't their fault. The bigger question is how well did I know myself.

I don't think I really came into my own until I had finished university and began my career. This was about the same time that I took up running and learned to knit. Coincidence? Maybe so, maybe no. The friends that I have now tend to be people that either have children the same age as mine, run, knit or all of the above. Perhaps these are the things that define me. Maybe my definition is still not set in stone. I just know that my knitting friends have been with me a long time and do not seem to be going anywhere. We're knit together, I suppose.

On the occasion of our 9th anniversary, the Dude and I had a conversation about choosing to grow together as a couple. We've both changed since we were wed, but we've grown together and made efforts to better each other. It was not easy, but we work at it. The same is true for friendships. You have to make an effort but it's definitely worth it.

Knit on, Dear Friends. I'm not going anywhere.

4 comments:

T. said...

Um - I may have a little tear in my eye.

Love ya!

Donna Lee said...

You made me think of how different I am than when I was in college (lo these many years ago). I am much more confident as a person and less fearful of making mistakes. My children are grown and my husband and I are celebrating 28 years together in another month. I hardly recognize the people we were when we got married. We have grown to compliment each other and as long as that continues, so will we.

Sarah said...

Knit together - love it!

andi said...

Aw, Jo! I love this. So, so true. All of it. Can I just say, you're one of my most favoritest people?

And look at P1 - she's so big! She's going to flourish at school.