Sunday, December 9, 2007

Looking for Inspiration

I'm in need of some knitting inspiration. Last night, I didn't even feel like picking up my sticks. Weird. I always want to pick them up, I always want to feel the yarn as I throw it around the needle.

I know this knitting lag is temporary. I think it's related to the impending deadline and all I need to accomplish between now and then. I know it's related to the fact that I want to knit some new socks for myself. It's also related partially related to all the secrecy surrounding my current knitting activities. But this will come to pass.

I was cleaning the bathroom this morning and listening to my iPod. Since my running is currently on hold due to some knee issues (which I don't want to discuss) I don't get a chance to listen to my favorite podcasts like I used to. There are not too many benefits to cleaning the bathroom, but listening to podcasts is one of them. I was listening to Cast-on, my absolute favorite knitting podcast. Brenda was talking about a recent trip to Italy on a fibre tour. She talked about knitting with Italian knitters who spoke no English and how wonderful it was to all share passion in knitting and new stitch patterns. She had an essay about how knitting and time are relative; how we won't live forever but our knitted objects will be passed down for generations. Inspiration packed into 50 some odd minutes of knitting love. This is just what I needed to pick up that 2x2 rib hat that seems endless, or that big blue blog of wool that I can't talk about.

Thanks Brenda - you gave me just what I needed today. Now back to that gray hat....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally get where you're coming from. I'm not doing any Christmas knitting this year, but I'm still having trouble finding inspiration to choose which project to finish, or to start for that matter...

J. said...

I love Brenda. One day I hope to knit like the wind, too.

Sorry about your slump but I can sympathize. This time of time is very intense. Want to go out for a drink (and stitchin and bitchin) tonight? Now, where are you gonna find a better offer than that?

Anonymous said...

I agree with J - you must come stitchin and bitchin tonight. I too have been lacking in knitterly inspiration lately. I'm hoping to finish Jay's socks tonight - they only took, what? 9 months to finish. Then I'm going to start some fancy socks just for me. Maybe that'll bring the knitting mojo back.

andi

T. said...

It must be the winter blahs. I'm looking forward to fresh starts in January - J. and I have a few things up our sleeves....