Thursday, October 18, 2007

LKA




Hi everyone. My name is J. and I knit lace.






(Hi, J.)






This is my first time attending a meeting of LKA or Lace Knitters Anonymous. Thank you all for making me feel welcome and not judging me on my lace knitting obsession.






It started out innocently enough. A little yarnover here, an eyelet row there. Then in the spring I was blindsided at a SnB. I'm usually a pretty strong person who is confident in her knitting abilities but I have to admit that I succumbed to peer pressure. I was sitting in the coffee shop, happily knitting something straightforward like a sock or some stocking stitch. Nothing that required a chart. There were certainly no stitch markers involved. Then BAM! SarahJanet told T. and I about the Mystery Stole 3 and how we really should knit it. I brushed her off at the time but when I got home I couldn't resist a little peek at the website.






Soon I found myself ordering laceweight and buying Addi Lace Turbos. I developed elaborate methods of keeping track of what row I was on with large sticky notes. Just a couple of rows, I would tell myself. I'll just do a little lace and then an hour goes by, my kid wakes up and I haven't cleaned the bathroom like I planned much less eaten lunch.






I got to the end of the MS3 and was quite proud of my accomplishment not knowing that the real high of lace knitting is the BLOCKING. It felt good. Real good. Then I couldn't get enough. I knit a Hanami. Blocked it. Need another hit. So here it is.....









(Swallowtail Shawl in Zephyr Vanilla)






I'm so glad to have you to talk to about this. Maybe I can beat this thing but it's not going to be easy. I still have some Capri Seasilk and some pale blue laceweight in silk and seacell lurking in my stash. And I told my sister I'd knit her a shawl with some ivory Seasilk I picked up. And about 500 m of Zephyr in Pewter leftover from my Hanami that would make a nice little shawl....






When did you say the next LKA meeting was? I'll be the one knitting in the corner.

5 comments:

T. said...

j. - can you let me know when and where the next meeting will be? Let's just keep this between you and me, ok?

Emily said...

It really is addictive, isn't it? SFX on stopping, need bigger and bigger doses - um....

Great blog,

MimiCatKnits said...

(whispering)
Ok... then lets not tell J. about the Muir KAL that Romi Hill set up on Yahoo & Ravelry... I couldn't resist signing up, J. won't either.

shhhh!!!!

Anonymous said...

Remind me to not let myself get sucked into lace knitting. I fear I too will have to attend LKA if I get started.

J. said...

Sounds like most knitters are susceptible to the lace knitting. At least I'm not alone.